Wednesday 30 March 2011

2nd April Re-post : The Room


The Room

The sour taste in the mouth and putrid smell from the room roused my wake to the horror. The monstrosity is not this room, but it had done me in. My head throbbed with pain as I recalled being flung by it towards the wall. How long I was knocked out I am not sure. 
I staggered up and took in the room. That horrible stench seems to be from the blackened boiling pot of mess that had an arm or leg sticking out of its frothy goo.
A boiled mass of a severed head rolled together with the bubbles and it could well be one of the villagers before me.
I tried the heavy doors again. Felt it budged slightly, but still held in place by a bar or some make shift object behind. Basic simple door made to imprison, without locks or keys to carry, or to break. 
I searched around for any weapon or tool. No luck.
Hunger overtook me as I slumped down and think of any possible means of rescue. How long has it been that I’ve been held captive here in this dreaded dungeon beneath this old cathedral? Deep down in this labyrinth days and nights passed without the sliver of natural light to tell time. Even then it felt it was just yesterday that I first stepped foot on this town. The town called Tristram where I abandoned my then band of adventurers at the foothill before. My companions of sorts since we sailed over the seas to this accursed land to the west. Alas I might never get to know their names. The Warrior, The Rogue and The Sorcerer. I doubt they knew each other before the journey too as we kept to ourselves throughout. But we did good on the battlefield, with our different skills at work we were good against that raiding troop of bandits just before town. 
The Sorcerer seeks the long lost tomes of magic that was supposed to be kept in the crypts here, he belonged to some order of mages in the far east land. The Warrior spoke least, yet I do sense he has some other motives aside from looting whatever there is to plunder from this wretched place. The Rogue, she said she belonged to some sisterhood or mercenaries from the woods to the south. She has an eye for targets as I could tell she has her way with bow and arrows. From our last night camped just out of town, I decided to venture before the break of dawn. I would have my part of spoils beforehand.
The town of Tristram is poor. I did not find any trinkets of worth, even the wares peddled by that peg-legged kid Wirt or Wert failed to impress me. But if I were to heed the boy’s advice I would not be in this misery. He mentioned of a terrible monstrosity that moved with great agility when he recounted the tale of how he lost his good leg. I am sure it is the same demon that got us both on separate occasions. Been held captive by this demon early on was not the richest of plunder from that cursed King Leoric’s tomb that I could ever see myself in. It was the greed.
The sweet sound of blades clashing and battle cries in a distance several floors above broke my thoughts. Mayhap it is them. A glimmer of hope filled my chest as the shouts became louder and sounded closer at hand. Mayhap my fortunes and my fate is intertwined with these bunch. I staggered to my feet and sally myself for the rescue. The sound of a bar lifted off the door from the outside and for the time being I could still make out the battle cries were still ongoing, in the distance. Not any closer. I stood frozen as in comes that abomination that I had run into twice in as many days. The hair on my back stood as he weaved his very much bloodied meat cleaver and stepped closer, barring any escape. It’s horns gleamed, body soaked in sweat and blood and gore and with a snigger all I could remember its last few words..“Fresh meat”