Monday 2 May 2011

The Road Trip, Part 1

A great week that spanned 700 or so kilometers total roadtrip, 4 states, (ok, i included trespassing Kedah on the highway, shoot me!) beach sun n' breeze, 2 of the week's major invites-only music event, and scores of new friends.
Started the week finishing off Neil Gaiman's American Gods (yes, delayed ever since it appeared on bookshelves everywhere til recently when Pauline gifted me that) and of course living through day number 11,322 on Tuesday. Ending the week with a recuperating day at home and on the web getting the just concluded full time score at the Emirates with us losing to a goal and league title chase opening up to that Blue team from London.

Wednesday was the roadtrip up north to Penang, with Pauline and Kelvin. Golly, he does drive fast the boy. 
Pleasant experience showing off Penang hawker fare sans the commercialized tourist-y menu to them. In the course, I got myself worked up on the first night that I couldn't sleep, partially thinking and planning of what else for them to feast upon. No doubt, our time there was pretty much short, as at the time of blog; I have my regrets on a few certain places that we didn't manage to knock off due to time constraints and location. Next foreseeable trip, okay Pauline?

Sun and sand fun (minus the $ex and $angria from the phrase) on Thursday at both Batu Feringghi and Tanjung Bungah during the day; whilst Hennessy Artistry for the night.
Found to my dismay the ever favorite spot of note, Sunset Bistro in Feringghi has ceased operations since CNY this year, after some freak fire accident etc and currently under-going renovations and such. But to me it was all in shock as the landscape of Feringghi; beach-wise kinda underwent some sort of change. Felt kinda out of place as I was trying to visualize where and what as I strolled along, and noting the changes and doubting my memory of how it was back then. Guess 2 years away from any place will do its tricks on your memory of the place, somehow eh?
Hennessy Artistry Penang was in Voodoo, Upper Penang Road. Being the only person from the group with make-up; guess its safe to say I was ready in less than 15 minutes flat and of course I even get to have a total attire change before we made our so-called diva's way, swagging forth to the venue by 2230 hours. We've the luxury to do so since the hotel was like a little under 5 minutes walk away. Besides the crazy-assed-ness of the sheer packed crowd and some utter bollocks-ness of the VIP section to ruin some mood; I found myself enjoying the music on set. Of course, being late arrivals we kinda missed Spinderella as the first set. Local band Kyoto Protocol (phew, nearly was typed as Tokyo, mind me) found a new fan in me. Energized and soulful coupled with talent and charm, their rendition of Kings of Leon's Use Somebody was noteworthy and even they did a tasteful cover for Lady Gaga's Poker Face (albeit the chorus bit sounds a bit like South Parks' Eric Cartman version, but it was all good!)
3rd and final act for the line-up was Australia's Vandalism. This duo rocked the house. As it may be, the discobala found himself entertained with electro-house (confirmation needed by Pauline on this genre) as much as he is a drop-dead Britpop, or Rock fan, per se. 
Vandalism was somehow the act that I was looking forward to put-my-hands-up-in-the-air for basically besides Kyoto Protocol on Saturday's Hennessy Artistry in Opera, Sunway. 

Kyoto Protocol frontman _ _ rocking the set
Next post then. Need a breather.