Tuesday 14 February 2017

Operation Low-Gigas (Freeing Disk Space from Duplicates) #3


Lo, somehow I realized that my disk space is indeed dropping low; being RED is practically a norm, but it was as low as 1GB. egad! Apart from organizing them, I decided to start this Operation Low-Gigas to clear up my Video folder, since it easier to manage as I know 99.9% these have their main copy on the external and elsewhere. I am leaving the much larger Downloads folder for the (hopefully) impending purchase of another 1.5TB by next month? That should be easier to swap to either current and future externals.

Anyhow, as I entered the third non-consecutive day of me bingeing movie files on this computer, well I've managed to shave off a significant amount of duplicates at the moment. Duplicates as in I've backed them up on the external, but I kinda have a habit of leaving a copy of those that I'd probably watch on a later date, after :
a) the series and fresh episodics that I follow regularly,
b) any movies that I've been waiting and in perfect condition to watch first,
c*) any personal favorite comics/ including tie-ins to events *denotes sometimes as first priority
d) any other series or episodics that I can wait and accumulate for a later date to binge if I have the time
e) and other movie that might have actors that I like or premise that I'd watch, someday.
f) any other movie that I have no idea why I hoard in the first place and unsure why.


Technically the next few movies that I am listing here (and subsequent next few days when I am free to backtrack) are those somehow that found themselves fallen into categories in bold, and mainly the last rung.

As usual I never did got around to actually blog about it, and so I am starting this series in random order (even my viewing of these weren't entirely consecutive, the max that I could manage these nights were 2 movies in a seating) hence I am starting with the freshest in mind, of last night and tonight's.



Day 3 - Movies - Music/Comedy/Drama

I've always liked movies centered around music that isn't a musical (Music & Lyrics and Frank comes to mind), although of course musicals are practically a different animal altogether isn't it?
I decided to clear these few movies last night as I counted a triumvirate trio hanging about waiting to be watched (and deleted), so here goes.

Sing Street



My favorite of the bunch, though I suppose it wasn't released here though, but I found it by random months ago and with the excellent score on IMDB, that must be the reason I got it in the first place. It is a great blend of nostalgia, humor and story, well directed and certainly worth checking out. Songs were good, and of varying styles as the protagonist gets influenced throughout the movie. Dialogues were excellent and witty, even the thicker Irish accent shouldn't be much of a problem imho. Great sampling of music from the era, and of course the cast were awesome; notably the rest of the quirky and lovable Irish kids of the band. I love it! Pretty much a contender for 2016's best (if I ever get around to do that)
favorite lines: 
"He will not be a problem...Trust me. No woman can truly love a man who listens to Phil Collins"
"She's gotta be in all the videos,. Oh yeah, she's world class. Without her, you're just a bunch of gay looking kids in the alleyway"




I completely forgot about this. If I were to choose only one, perhaps Anne Hathaway is my favorite actress,,I think.
But Song One tells of a woman who retraces her comatosed brother's life via his journal and meeting a singer whom happens to be the brother's favorite musician. Along the way, it reconnects her to mother, and subsequently almost everyone finding their own selves. Whoa, spoiler alert.
The Good : Anne Hathaway, Anne Hathaway, Anne Hathaway! anyway, what I like most is the vibrancy of life via the sights and sounds and the much-cliched indie music-making was pretty alright, it sets the tempo and mood as we follow in the protagonists many journeys through the NY music scene with the snippets of the varieties of genres.
The Bad : pace was okay, actors by themselves were good, though imho the leads lacks chemistry somehow; feels awkward; perhaps it was to show how delicate the other person/situation was, as it was not that apparent when the lovers were enjoying each other's company; music-wise, it was okay, nothing that really stands out to warrant further research (and additional listening)
It is a decent drama at best, one that you would enjoy on a cold stormy night alone and taking in the feel of perceived loss and finding yourself, and most definitely when you are a Anne Hathaway fan.




The Odysseus this is not. However, it is a good drama thanks to some serious acting from En Sabah Nur Poe Dameron Oscar Isaac. The songs are good, most notably the songs performed by the protagonist, and both songs sung by Justin Timberlake. The story really reflects the harsh world of the struggles of a struggling musician in a trying time, no doubt it was about the turn of another musical revolution I suppose in that period in the 60's and our hero is caught in his past and bleak outtake of his future as a musician. It really does me in imho as the hero is very good, but somehow he is stuck in the wrong time. Well acted and directed, certainly another good movie from the Coen Brothers.

Inside Llewyn Davis - Please Mr. Kennedy