Thursday 5 May 2016

Kevin's Key Lime Fish

I'm not a fish person.
Never one to heartily do flips in anticipating any fish meal (okay, unless sushi or the lot, but hey, raw salmon or its other friends don't count, imho) certainly would never be the one to buy fish or prep it before, okay I do cook fish sometimes, those that were prepared just waiting to get on the frying pan line to boogie.
Oh yes, just contradicted myself. I do prepare a mean Fish & Chips though on occasions. Well, I suppose I shouldn't count that as well, since,..hey, cooking a good ol' F & C shouldn't count as cooking (like how I generally categorized cooking fried rice as not exactly cooking either) since it is just basically adhering to the food frying methodology. Yeah. Idiot.

So, anyway, for this argument's sake (if there was any) my so-called Mean Fish & Chips was last made early last year together with my late sister, and ever since getting back here and helping Mom out with cooking chores once per week, I've been suggesting doing a fish meal (since, they are both Mega-Super-FISH-people/person) since I feel that I shouldn't overstay my culinary skill (and welcome) just by rotating beef/pasta/fajitas/chayken/pasta you know the like.
So yeah, of course Mom was cool with it, (since she must be wanting to get fish served without being splattered with its fry-oil)
But she somehow misinterpreted Fish & Chips as something else, since ;
  • She isn't much of a FRY person (unless chinese shallow fry)
  • And another point, which I've lost it right now, but it was significant I think.
  • Oh yeah, she bought some bone-in fillets of (unidentifiable ….at least to me) fish
Today around lunch, she started to tell me where the fish and vegs are kept in the fridge; which alarmed me as today is my cooking day. Coupled with the above 2 points, (and not being too keen to drive and hunt for cheap beer for the batter not casual drinking) I spent the next hour coming out with a substitute fish meal.

So what transpired (the dish) at this moment in writing, it is a sort of version of a certain Key West Fish I suppose. But of course mine is better lol. Better tatters (and with bacon ~ "bacon pancakes making bacon pancakes") fish way better in every way, and a freaking zesty sour-assed asian flavor.


Kevin's Key West Fish with Bacon Cheddar Mashed Tatters & Garlic Sauteed Fridge-Clearing Vegs

Ingredients:
For Pan-Fried Fish
4 nos Fish Fillet
Paprika (Smoked or Unsmoked anyhow you'd fancy)
Salt & Pepper
Oil

For Key Lime (Sauce)
Butter (or in my case, fake butter @ olive spread)
1/4 in Ginger, julienned
2 nos Kaffir Lime Leaves, julienned (it's 4 since they come in pairs)
10 nos Kalamansi, juiced (or, Lime, though I wouldn't go Lemon)
Pinches of other dried fishy herbs if you like, I added some Herbes de Provence for a good measure
*there's no booze for the time being, but I suppose I'd love to flip a good 2 ounces of Tequila or fold in some white vino 

Bacon Cheddar Mashed Tatters
4 nos Potato; Large, boiled, and let semi-cool if need to cut smaller (yes, Mom didn't get Russets or softer tatters, so I used those Made-In-China potatoes in which I am 99.9% sure it is real)
1 cup Bacon bits
4 tbsp Garlic, chopped (okay, tablespoon? Well, put a lot, trust me)
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Cheese; Cheddar (well, I cheated with cheddar slices; since I did not go to town, I suppose I am lucky to get these at the mini-mart)
Salt & Pepper to taste

For Garlic Sauteed Fridge-Clearing Vegs @ What I was supposed to clear was:
1 nos Carrot
1 pkt King Oyster Mushroom
1 nos Onion; Red
4 nos Garlic Cloves
2 pats Butter
Salt & Pepper
*what I will give to have Bell Peppers or Zucchini or Broccoli, but yeah, this is just sauteed vegetables, so, GO CRAZY!

Serves: 4
Prep: 20 mins with a smoke break
Cooking Time: I suppose in total of 20 mins thereabouts? But I took longer since we were stuck with a single stove, the other guy decided to become a flamethrower for no reason and since I am no Batman with a lead cape to save Martha…..

So in actual 35 eff-ing minutes for me. And a quick smoke break when gathering the kaffir lime 'top' leaves, ha!



something is terribly wrong with my camera


…..
Of course the pics does not do the dish justice, and with the lack of garnish of sorts; but it was awesome all right and I suppose I should be making more of these (with variations of course) soon enough based on their compliments (which is rare, come on, we Chinese peepur) and Mom's questions on the ingredients and how-to's. So I suppose a video should follow some day, or even a separate one of my (ehem!) heavenly mashed tatters.

So tummy filled and feeling groggy and sleepy by 8:30pm, I suppose I could manage an episode (or two) of Fear The Walking Dead now, since network is pulling a Lois Lane on me. No, that's not right.
Well, since I'm done with today's The Flash so these 2 should do.
Oh, if it's 2 episodes, then I'm up on this week's 4th episode, darn.
Another weblog post then.