Friday 14 April 2017

The Hunt (of a substitute...smartphone)

And so, March was also the month the trusty ol' 'primary' phone started its real reminder that it must not go on for any longer.
I mean yeah, it still works.... whenever it feels like it. Ha! It kinda makes me drawing the similarities of it to those staffers that practically thought they owned a stake in the establishment; y'know those types that basically goes AWOL and un-guiltily waltz in whenever convenient? Yep.

Anyway, the whole malaise with it is that it has deteriorated to a level it no longer charges properly as it should be. Being a pretty handy google-r, it boils down to the charging port is faulty (which could be cleaned, if lucky or worse) and it's just a matter of luck after numerous pulling out the battery and plugging it back on in anticipating of the red flash or green charging animation.
I did ask a shop guy deemed friendly enough (certified honest by mois; since he is the guy Mom got her tablet from months back) and he told me since there are minute cracks of the screen; such operation would bear a risk of fubar-ing the said screen inevitably bringing up the repair costs and the cheapskate in me was considering options and, yeah the major seems to be to kiss it goodbye and (hopefully) upgrade! Yes. how wrong I was.

I've been away from actually giving an actual toss of the latest gadgets, really. I mean, to a level where I still know which is (which) and is a coming soon model , by name I suppose, of the biggest few (sorry, low memory dictates I can't recall what else aside from the impending Iphone 8's and Galaxy 8's; and er, well, possible maximum RAMs of recent high-end devices I suppose, too) and those upcoming-brands-with-awesome-specs-on-paper-yet-you-are-too-scared-to-check-out's.
I've been on occasion read about these other brands too; and I would like to think that I am sort of 'techie' enough to know tech specs (ehem) but just you know, when one has virtually no intent on owning them, these information are just for, say, probable conversation piece? Looks-wise, I am running a realization that my comprehension of some smartphone's designs (come on, there's just too many, amiright?) are as bad as how I'd differentiate cars. (which I am pretty terrible at, since cars are never a thing that I like, y'know sometimes men aren't car junkies/enthusiasts mmkay?)

It was inevitable that I'd be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of smartphones available; and add to the fact that I have only maybe slightly over half the intent to get a new one (in which I am still struggling to decide between a pre-loved or refurbished or a definitely low-end new unit) and the rather pointless diversions checking out those premium models' specs for research purposes.
I suppose whenever I have the spare little time this month I was basically researching and comparing my probable next phone.

To make it so goshdarnit hard is that there are simply too many options and questions; and the suitability of course. I am pretty much a decently heavy user per se; the usual works; browser, social medias, music & video player, electronic reading materials of dubious origins, amateur photography (okay, not exactly on point, but yeah. NO SELFIE and certainly not an avid photog guy too) some games whenever, and whichever productivity applications.
But I guess the main reason to get it working is basically getting the bloody phone to work so I could get the instant messaging up, since I am being drawn into the many church chat groups these days, other than that, I had most of substituted (back) to the laptop anyhow; yes I use Whatsapp Web for convenience at home (and no autocorrects, except maybe the cat's butt-typing) but taking pictures isn't conducive to lug around Ma's tablet eh?

In justifying the need of favoring a change rather than taking the gamble to repair said phone; it isn't in the best of shape for some time; it looks ruggedly worn with dents and cracks and even the protective er, protector hasn't seen better days with its lengthwise cracks.
It lost its WIFI for about a year now; same goes with the Hotspot, Bluetooth and other connectivity, except the last one standing - Mobile Data. Camera is functional, so that's what I've been snapping with and manually transferring to the computer for edits.
Besides these flaws, it has served me pretty well the most of the years; and even being maimed off its WIFI I still manage to get a decent amount of things done.

I'm somewhat in favor of gambling for a decent mid-range pre-loved over a new low-end, as I don't see myself going overboard for a new mid-range. A top range is something I'll aim for when I start to roll in cash HAHAH! obviously.
There are a few good top-range pre-loved of yester-years too (and these are somehow within my maximum amount of funds, in which I am in no favor of using up the bulk of it and resorting to save again for the little business) , and that's what gets me being thrown in the deeper end.
Decisions decisions.

I mean, come on. I could probably do some groundwork and check the couple of phone shops nearby for ideas, but in this age you should be doing your homework and search yourself and compare prices. Besides, I don't wanna be a dick of a customer with my ideal specifications under XX amount right?
RAM + Expandable Storage (of 64GB or more) = main criteria
Chip + Earpiece (don't know why, but not cables though lol) = secondary criteria
WIFI & Bluetooth = given criteria, I mean, of course.
Camera pixels + how strong the damn glass should be + how strong the battery should be (ahaks!) + Color (or even in Pink?) + carrier set/size of sim = other negligibles
I am also considering about moving back to an Iphone too, since I think I found some good deals of Iphone 5s'es and because this whole affair of getting a working whatsapp-able phone to work; it is definitely something that I could consider too. Oh well.

I should start a spreadsheet of the 'probable' devices arrayed with it's maximum External Storage (I will need to find a new home for the memory card, right?) and RAM's of above 2GB.
Yes, a simple spreadsheet, will somehow gets to comparatively easier to spot the differences.
And then I shall take my own sweet time(hopefully) and hunt!
line too slow to edit or meme it. but yeah, hunting ....