Sunday 16 April 2017

Guitar Zero

Played 4 venues this week ~ The Guitar Zero

Hah!
Was looking forward to put the above statement when I was mid-way through. It certainly could've been a rockstar's noteworthy tweet, ain't it?
So how did I, a.k.a Mr Guitar Zero found myself playing so many times this week, (in fact it was 5 occasions in a space of 6 days, starting from last Sunday) I suppose I have to count my blessings.

First round was 2 nights in a row for a wake service. Well, Dad got roped in to help with a wake service and it certainly was a first for me to play at a wake service; and Chinese hymns too! The Lord certainly guided through and through on the melody and I suppose I did alright.

Second round was the usual Old Folks' visit; however it was completely different to warrant a bit of worry as well. It so happened that Pastor Andrew, my new guitar-hero (grandmaster sensei! hii-yah!) was not available as he was in Penang; thus so it fell to us 3 to lead the worship; and somehow Mom & Dad decided to choose all 4 'new' songs that we've never played to them before. Oh well, that went alright considering I had ample time (since I had a day off playing on Tuesday to look the songs for Wednesday and Thursday) and with God guiding the rhythm it went through like a cool swig of coconut water (Amen!)

Third round on Thursday was a biggie. Out of the blue, on I think on Tuesday noon, Dad called up and told me I am to assist in playing the guitar for their Pastors Fellowship meet and Pastor Andrew will text me the playlist later on. I was like, WHAT? oh, ok....maaaaybe alright?
Playing for their worship? Where everyone is a Reverend, mostly? I'd have to admit, I was a bit worried, but with His strength I see reason why should I be afraid? This is a good opportunity , and of course I've been getting a lot of practice in (although different songs and languages) and with God being with me, let's do dis!!!!
It somehow prompted me to record a test version for Pastor Andrew to check if I got the songs right, in which I sent it via whatsapp for him to sample.
Very bad recording as I just recorded it as is and without proper gears too, (I should ask around or Google how do people do it nowadays eh?) and since it was originally so soft, I mixed it all together and rendered it with higher decibels on Audacity.


Of course it was funny, the versions I found were slightly hip, and yeah I somehow played it pretty upbeat; and they were singing it like the traditional hymnals as it were, which good thing enough I could be of the alertness to notice and switch my strumming way way slower. It was brilliant too as the gang of pastors of numerous denominations were gathered to worship and pray; and certainly gave me the notion to assist them in any way that I could.

By mid-day of Thursday, I thought that must be it, I've had an awesome eye-opening week thus far, and when I was asked if I could play for Friday's Cell Group meeting, I was like doing a Thor's YES from the trailer of Thor:Ragnarok. Oh well, it turned out to be a short worship as I was given just 1 song to play, (and I think I like my acoustic take on the song, as I somewhat added a bass line on some parts of the song) given that we have a movie screening this week.

I survived!
What a week this is. As I re-collect my thoughts as I shared twice ever since, I've been blessed to have the chance to play so often this week, it certainly is a fun process in my journey. I managed to ball up and tell my schoolmates when I hung out with them on last night (after Cell Meeting) and today when I was brainstorming designs for Young Adults; which I'm doing.
Thank you Abba Father.

Hmm, I've been weblogging consecutively too, eh?